Monday, November 9, 2009

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Have you ever worked nights? I think everyone should have to at sometime in their lives so they have an understanding of the whole situation.
This is not the only night job that I have had. I started working nights when the girls were in Elem. school. Emers was in preschool--part time. On her days home with me, I would lay on the couch and sleep. She would lay on top of me watching TV and wake me when she needed something. Sounds kinda sad doesn't it. But, then I could spend more time with my kids. There have been days that I have gone without sleep, times that I've slept in the car going somewhere. I've slept at our shop, at my parent's house, at work on breaks.....
But how do you deal with the world that does not understand. The Culligan Man likes to ring the doorbell twice a month to deliver our water. The UPS Man likes to ring the doorbell once in a while. Cars like to drive fast past our house. The neighbor likes to slam his front door. Most of this causes the dog to bark, LOUDLY. And if she isn't barking, she likes to periodically check on me during the day and the noise of her collar wakes me.
Then there is the telephone. I always answer it even when I am sleeping--what if it is a emergency? So if you need or want to talk to me just call because I will fall back to sleep. But, remember that I might not remember that you called or that I even talked to you. Then I have a 16 year old daughter that likes to call me from school just to update me on things. Like today, she called to tell me that her and Emers ordered their basketball t-shirts. Why did I need to know this in the middle of my sleep? I do not have a clue, but I love her anyway and would never yell at her for waking me. Sometime maybe I'll call her at 2:oo in the morning just to tell her that I went to the bathroom or bought a candy bar to snack on.
So why do I work nights? I works best for me and my spoiled kids. They like when I pick them up at school so they don't have to ride the bus or walk to the shop. They like it when I am home in the mornings to kiss them before school. They like when I can go to all of their school functions, even if I look like sh*t.
I must really love my girls cuz my lack of sleep should show it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment