Monday, November 30, 2009

Isn't he cute?

A couple of weeks ago the girls and I stopped at a second hand store. I have passed by the store many times and never took the time to stop. They sell mostly furniture there so never bothered to stop. On this day I felt the need to see what they had for sale.
We walked in the door and as we turned to the left I saw him! He was ugly but cute at the same time. I just had to meet him. I walked over to him and put out my hand. I knew I shouldn't touch him but I could not help myself. I picked him up and turned him over. No price tag! Great!! That means I can't afford him.
We continued to walk around the store. Alot of nice stuff, but nothing that caught my eye quite like he did. Before I left I could no long stand it--I had to know. I asked the owner, "How much is that Uncle Sam over there?" Her reply, "Oh that's my mom's. I told her to take it back home because it's not a Christmas decoration. It's for the 4th of July, ya know."
Yes, I knew it was not a Christmas decoration like everything else in the store but I was still interested in it. She told me that her mom was not home so she could not get ahold of her to ask.
We left empty handed but he never left my mind. I even talked about him at work. One of my co-workers said to me, "your going to go there again to look for him, aren't you?" So about a week after my first visit, Emers and I had to go back that way. After Emers' doctor's appointment I had to get back to town because I had a meeting at work to go to. We had an extra 20 or so minutes so I decided to stop and visit him.
Emers stayed in the car because she hates second hand stores. I went in. Before I made it through the door, an older lady asked if I needed any help. I said yes, I was there to see if Uncle Sam was still there and how much he was. She then told me what I did not want to hear! "No." she said, "I took him home. My daughter said that it really wasn't for Christmas. It's for the 4th of July ya know." I felt like yelling at her, how could she possibly think that he did not belong there......... "but, wait" she said, "he might still be in my car" So she went out to look. She came back in and said "he must be in the trunk" and got her keys. Out she went again. I decide I might as well make the best of it and look around again. Hanging up near the register was a sweatshirt from Hollister. It was marked with a BIG tag, $1. I know that Emers does not like used clothes but a Hollister hoodie for a dollar--she can suffer. I laid the sweatshirt on the counter. I also saw a set of glasses that I needed so grabbed them too, remember--I was in a bit of a hurry. That lady comes back in and told me the bad news--he wasn't in the car. Really? Who forgets if they unloaded their car or not?!? She said she would bring it back in but since it was Department 56 she would need $15.00 for it. I told her that I would take it but I would be gone for a few days but would return as soon as I could. "But I will buy this now." I said. She looked at the sweatshirt and then gave me a really weird look and said, "Is it for sale?" OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! That is when I should have left and never looked back--but very nicely I said "yes" and showed her the tag. It went down hill from there. I had to help her add the two items. She then remembered that it was a Thursday, 30% off everything. I had to help here subtract the 30% and come up with a new total. Then Tax!! I helped her again. Thank goodness I had the correct change!! I gave her the money, took my bag and left--now 15 minutes late for my meeting!!!!
I could not go back that weekend because I was in Arkansas to visit sister #3's hiking friend, but he never left my mind. I worked and slept and then Thanksgiving, I felt like it was just not meant to be. But then came Black Friday!!!! Emers and I headed back and this time she came in with me, probably just for the entrainment of it. I asked the lady working about my Uncle Sam. She pointed and said he was over there. Why did they put him on the shelf for everyone to see. What I someone would have bought him before I could get there? I already know that there wasn't one of ebay cuz I had already checked! I took a deep breathe and grabbed him! He belongs to me now!
If you would like to see him he will be in our living room. The girls wanted to pack him away for the season. It's for the 4th of July, ya know. I would not let them. He will be out for awhile, at least until the 5th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment